Hawan is an age old sacred ritual of Hindu culture in which offerings are made to the fire. Fire has been regarded as God in Hindu religion. Hence, the offerings made to sacred fire is said to purify the surroundings thereby individual health. We follow Hindu Rituals as per the customs and traditions described in our old literature of “Vedas”. In Vedic times different rituals were being performed by the people to achieve different goals and objectives. Every aspect of Hinduism is associated with science and this is what many Indians still adopt and follow. A yagna is one of the oldest rituals in “Sanatan Dharma” which is performed on different occasions like birth of a child, buying a new house and marriages for purifying environment and creating positive energy. It is said that chanting mantras with offerings into fire, 7 chakras of our body get re-energized, creating revitalized and rejuvenating effect on body and mind. It dispels negative energies and protects the place where the rituals are performed. It also induces peace, prosperity and good health.
In ancient time, sages performed yagna to get over victory on demons (asuras). In the ancient epic Ramayana, king Dasharatha of Ayodhya performed the “Putrakameshti Yagna” to get children. Rama did yagna to please Lord Shiva, before beginning the construction of Ram-Setu. Aswamedha yagna was performed by Pandavas to absolve the crimes of war after victory in Mahabharata.
In the recent times, Chief Minister of Telangana K. Chandrashekar Rao (KCR) also performed “Maha yagna” in the year 2015 seeking blessings of Goddess Chandi for Telangana state for bountiful rains, welfare of farmers and smooth and successful implementation of welfare program’s and realization of the dream of building a ‘Bangaru Telangana’.
“Baba Ramdev “, Indian yoga guru known for his work in Ayurveda did yagna recently to give courage and spread positive vibrations with the objective of making world disease free with the help of scientific approach.
Is it just belief or science behind it:
Scientific experiments have proven that there are two energy systems in the physical world. Heat and sound. In performing yagna, these two energies namely, heat from yagna’s fire and the sound of the chanting of the vedic Mantras, are blended together to achieve the desired physical, psychological and spiritual benefits. Few examples to know science behind Yagna:
- The surroundings and the smell of yagna can be felt even at a distance. Thus smoke also functions as a medium for circulation of aromatic substances depending on temperature and direction of the wind.
- There is also science behind using fatty substances like Ghee in yagna. Ghee helps in rapid combustion of cellulose of wood and keeps the fire alight. Cow’s ghee added to hawan kills disease producing germs. New research has proven that hawan with cow’s ghee can produce good purified air and oxygen.
- According to experiments, burning sugar and Raisins has huge potential to purify air. It instantly destroys bacteria that Decay, Measles and cholera etc.
- The power of sound vibrations is long since acknowledged in the field of science. These vibrations can penetrate the energy spheres at the subtle and cosmic levels. All the alphabets of Sanskrit language are endowed with special vibration powers, which set out harmonious wave patterns when pronounced. It has been proved that recitation of Gayatri Mantra produces 110000 sound waves per second.
- Today we find increasing number of diseases including malfunctioning of body organs due to increasing severity of pollution, bacteria and viruses in the atmosphere. Experimental studies show that the incidence of physical ailments, sickness and disease are reduced in the houses, where yagna is regularly performed.
- Yagna creates a pure, nutritional and medicinal atmosphere. It renews brain cells, revitalizes the skin, purifies blood and prevents growth of pathogenic organs. Agnihotra is basically a healing process. It’s based on the concept of ‘Heal the atmosphere and healed the atmosphere will heal you.
- Cow’s milk contains great power of protection from atomic radiation. Houses having cow dug covered floor enjoy complete protection from atomic radiation.
- While performing yagna volatile oils get diffused in the surrounding atmosphere along with steam and smoke. Since these oils have distinct good smell, the foul odors are automatically replaced. This aroma can be experienced easily in the surroundings when yagna is performed due to diffusion of substances like pine, terpinol and oils of sandal wood, camphor and clove.
- The oxidation of hydrocarbons also produces formic acid and acetic acid both of which are good disinfectants. Antiseptic and antibiotic effects of fumes of yagna have also been examined by conducting suitable experiments and it has been established that fumes emitted in yagna are powerful antibiotic.
- There are non- bacterial parasites like flies, ringworm, dice and fleas etc., which are immune to bactericides, which are also harmful to other living beings. Such insects, which are generally immune to ordinary reagents either get killed by asphyxiation or are driven away. When they come in contact with the fumes of volatile oils like camphor diffused in the environment.
- There is also spiritual significance of yagna. The heat is endowed in yagna is a source of immense energy. As the fire inflames, melt or sublimates all the gross substances inside, we too should burn out all our vices, ill-tendencies, lethargy, dullness and despair and energize our personality with the warmth of new zeal, alacrity, awareness and hope. The heat and energy of the yagna should be reflected to fight against all evils.
Science has empowered its roots everywhere in today’s world. It is part of our daily lives, from cooking and gardening to recycling and comprehending the daily weather report, to reading a map and using a computer. Advances in technology and science are transforming our world at an incredible pace and our children’s future will surely be filled with leaps in technology we can only imagine. We cannot escape from the significance of science in our world. Science provides us with a logical, factual and generally rational explanation of the world around us. Science is not about proving the non-existence of God. It is about providing a solid basis on factual, repeatable, measurable and determinable result. Hindu rituals are also not exceptions to it and Hinduism always preaches and establishes the fact of science its importance, nature and its balance. People need to understand the importance of its applications in our daily life to dispel negatives. We need to implement ritual science for the development and betterment of our country guiding the young generation with Scientific Hinduism and establishing the fact of greatness in the religion which showed the path of technology and science in the form of life.